VISITS

Flag Counter

February 09, 2013

RTTY BEGININGS

I had a bit of insomnia and went to the ARRL website. I opened up the electronic edition of QST, it had an article in the "Vintage column" about W7DET's station. It showed a picture of W7DET's station from 1957. What caught my eye was next to the desk was a teletype machine. After thinking for a bit I began to wonder when radio teletype or RTTY actually started. The story was very interesting after reading several sites about the history of RTTY I found out that after WWII the government had all these teletype machines left over and there was a problem. The machines could not be sold commercially and the government had no use for that many machines so they somehow entered into the ham radio community around 1946. Soon afterwards "The Amateur Radio teletype and VHF Society" was formed and things took off from there. It was real interesting reading the history of the teletype and how it came into ham radio I suggest you do a google search for rtty history and you will find a lot of information!

73's
Mike/N8GBU

No comments: