VISITS

Flag Counter

June 17, 2013

FIRST CONTACT !

I decided to come down here into the ham shack to program the memory channels I had saved in my computer. After successfully getting all that done I decided to search around for a special event station, another sub hobby of mine in ham radio. While searching the bands 20 meters was not the greatest so I moved to 40 meters. I came across two gentleman rag chewing or so I thought! To my surprise one of the gentleman was a guest operator at A.R.R.L. H.Q. station W1AW ! WHAT A FIND! A FIRST FOR ME! I have been licensed since fall of 1982 and this was the first time I had EVER came across a guest operator at W1AW ! The excitement and adrenaline started flowing with the hopes of  getting that qso from W1AW and qsl them hard copy of course ! The other gentleman was kind of elderly and I think he just wanted someone to talk to. Finally my turn came---- I thought for sure there would be a pile up of sorts and had myself prepared to battle the pile up. I was wrong I made it through no problem except for the band conditions. I received a 55 signal report but who's complaining? I actually was in a qso with a fellow ham at ARRL  HQ !
I think he was as excited as I was, he was telling me about all the new equipment there and the place was very well equipped. After completing the qso and very carefully logging all the needed info, I sat and thought about how nice it would be to travel there to tour the place and be a guest operator. Hopefully someday that pipe dream may come true !
73's
Mike/N8GBU

No comments: