VISITS

Flag Counter

January 20, 2013

On the Border

Well as the title says I'm on the border ! I joined www.myhamshack.com yesterday and wanted to double check my grid location as I have a tendency to mix up the letters. Myhamshack.com is a free ham radio website you can blog at etc. Anyways I went to www.qrz.com to check my grid location there as they have an application that will help you that. After entering my grid EN81GQ I decided to experiment with various letters as I noticed the Northern grid line was extremely close to my qth. The app. uses Google maps so I started changing the last letter to see where each was. I put in  EN81GR and Low & Behold that was the next grid square going to the North. The map also kept each grid on the map as I entered the next so you could see the location in relationship to the other. Well getting back to that EN81GQ - EN81GR border curiosity killed the cat I had to magnify and get down to the nitty gritty on where exactly this Northern border was in relationship to my qth. Well after numerous adjustments I found this border ran down the back yard property line ! When using the satellite mode on Google maps and finding my qth there are a couple of distinguishing markers. The first one is two doors down the street going east on the opposite side of the street the garage roof has " GO BUCKS " wrote on it with roofing tiles. Number 2 is I have an extremely tall Pine in the back yard that is at least 75 feet tall. I use this tree for my G5RV antenna to attempt to gain height but have to be careful as power lines, telephone lines and cable all run through that tree. An interesting find indeed !

73's
Mike/ N8GBU

No comments: